Daza Chicken Relleno
- 1 piece whole chicken about 1 ½ to 2 kilos, deboned
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon calamansi or lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ kilo ground pork
- ¼ kilo cooked or sweet ham finely chopped
- 5 pieces Vienna sausage finely chopped
- ¼ cup pickle relish
- 3 pieces medium eggs
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 10 pieces pitted green olives chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pieces hard boiled eggs peeled (optional)
- ¼ cup softened butter for brushing
- 3-4 pieces chicken liver
- 5-6 pieces chicken gizzard
- water for boiling gizzard
- 3/4 cup oily pan drippings
- 3 tablespoons MAYA All-Purpose Flour sifted
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- fine salt ground black pepper and liquid seasoning to taste
Have the butcher at the wet market or supermarket debone chicken for relleno. Marinate chicken skin in a mixture of soy sauce, calamansi juice, and ground pepper.
Meanwhile, prepare the Stuffing: Combine all ingredients for the stuffing in a bowl: ground pork, ham, Vienna sausage, pickle relish, eggs, grated cheese, green olives, capers, raisins, tomato ketchup. Season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Stuff the filling into the chicken. If using hard-boiled eggs, stuff this in the middle of the stuffing, one on the left and one on the right side of the chicken. Sew up the opening with a bright colored thread (for easier removal when chicken is cooked) or secure with wooden toothpicks.
Brush a large sheet of aluminum foil generously with butter. Wrap the stuffed chicken in the foil, folding on top to seal tightly. Set chicken on a roasting pan.
Bake in a preheated 350⁰ for 1 hour. Unfold the foil, exposing the top and sides, and continue baking until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes more. Baste chicken occasionally with pan drippings. Set aside and save the drippings.
Meanwhile, prepare the Giblet Gravy: Boil chicken liver in water for about 5 minutes. Boil; chicken gizzards in water for about 30 minutes. Chop liver and gizzard. Set aside.
Heat pan drippings in a small pan. Blend in flour and stir with whisk for 2-3 minutes over low heat. Add chopped chicken liver and gizzards and chicken broth. Simmer until gravy is thick. Season with salt, pepper and liquid seasoning. Turn off the heat.
Cool Chicken Relleno completely before slicing. To serve, slice in half lengthwise, then crosswise. Serve with Giblet Gravy. To reheat, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Tip: Make Chicken Relleno a day ahead and keep in the refrigerator. Relleno is easier to slice when chilled.