Spicy Beer and Cheddar Soup
- 400 grams bacon chopped
- 2 pieces celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 piece small onion finely chopped
- 1 piece pickled jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 2 pieces large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 can beer (330 g)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sharp yellow cheddar cheese coarsely shredded
- salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp.
Transfer the bacon to a bowl. Add the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
Add half of the beer and cook until reduced by half.
Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned.
Whisk this roux into the soup until incorporated and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened.
Add the heavy cream, cheddar cheese and the remaining beer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy.
Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper.
From Beer in Disguise article