Kimchi Mushroom Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 piece onion sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 200 grams prepared kimchi chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons gochujang Korean red pepper paste
- 1-2 teaspoons gochugaru Korean hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon soy bean paste
- 1-2 tablespoons brewed soy sauce
- 4-5 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4-5 stalks leeks cut into 2-3 inches long
- 1 whole medium-sized Chinese cabbage roughly chopped
- 1 piece block tofu cubed
- 100 grams fresh button mushrooms
- 100 grams shimeji mushrooms
- 100 grams oyster mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a stewing pot then pan sauté the onions and garlic until translucent and aromatic but not browned.
Mix in the kimchi, gochujang, gochugaru, soy bean paste and soy sauce. Give a quick stir until the oil turned red.
Add in the stock, sugar and leeks and bring mixture to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for another 5-20 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking in simmering stage for another 5 minutes.
Serve steaming hot.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes