French Apple Pie with Crumbled Topping
- 1 cup sifted MAYA All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter or shortening
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 small green apples or
- 4 big Fuji apples
- 2-3 tablespoons calamansi juice
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- grated cheese
- ¼ cup butter chilled
- ½ cup MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
Prepare a 9-inch pie plate. Preheat oven to 375° F / 191°C.
Sift flour, salt and baking powder together.
Cut-in butter into flour mixture until pea sized.
Add as much water to bind the ingredients together.
Form into a ball. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick.
Fit dough into prepared pie plate.
Flute edges and chill for 10 minutes.
Prepare Apple Filling:
Pare and slice apples thinly. Put apple slices in a bowl and sprinkle calamansi juice.
Combine sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Toss into the apple slices.
If very juicy, add the flour. Turn into prepared crust.
Top with grated cheese.
Cut-in chilled butter into flour.
Add walnuts and brown sugar.
Sprinkle mixture on top of apple filling.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.