- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 ½ - 4 ½ cups LFM bread flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- bread crumbs as needed
Easy Yema Filling:
- 2 cans condensed milk
- 2 packs all- purpose cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Set aside to activate the yeast.
In a bowl, combine the remaining water, sugar and the activated yeast mixture.
In another bowl, mix together salt and half of flour. Add the wet mixture.
Mix well then transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Adding remaining flour alternately with the shortening.
Knead dough by hand for about 20-30 minutes until smooth and elastic. If using a stand
mixer, use dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 15-20 minutes.
Place the ball of dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.
Let it rise until it doubles in size.
Punch dough to remove air pockets and divide into two portions.
Form into baston then roll in breadcrumbs. Cover again the dough and let it rest for a while,
then cut as desired. Roll again in breadcrumbs if needed.
Arranged cut doughs on baking sheet about 1-2 inches apart, proof or rest again until double in size.
Bake in a preheated 375°F/190°C oven for 20-25 minutes or until desired brownness is achieved.
Easy Yema Filling:
Place all the ingredients for the filling in a sauce pan and mix well.
Cook over low heat.
Stirring occasionally, continue cooking until consistency thickens. Set aside to cool.
The Following are variations for Flavored or stuffed Pandesal.
- Mango Pandesal – Replace or substitute water with mango flavored juice then stuff with mango Jam.
- Pandan Pandesal – Add in 2 teaspoons of pandan extract or flavocol into the water in the ingredients. Instead of using plain water, use boiled pandan water for better flavor.
- Match Pandesal – Replace or substitute 1 ¼ cup of water with match green tea water (Dissolved ¼ cup matcha green tea powder into 1 1/4 cup water)
- Quezo de Bola Pandesal - Roll pandesal into cheese breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ½ cup breadcrumbs + ¼ cup grated quezo de bola cheese) and stuff pandesal with yema cheese filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling + ¼ cup grated quezo de bola cheese).
- Choco Nut Butter - Roll pandesal into flavored choconut breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ¼ cup breadcrumbs + 1/3 cup crushed or powdered peanut milk chocolate bar) and stuff pandesal with choco nut yema filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling +2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter +2 tablespoons of crushed or powdered peanut milk chocolate bar).
- Choco Bombs Pandesal - Roll pandesal into flavored chocolate breadcrumbs instead of ordinary bread crumbs (combine ¼ cup breadcrumbs + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder) and stuffed pandesal with chocolate filling (a combination of ½ cup prepared yema filling + 2 tablespoons hazelnut chocolate spread + 2 tablespoons of melted chocolate chips or bar).