Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 2 ½ – 2 ¾ cups MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 – 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons fresh milk
- Gel food coloring of your choice
Preheat oven to 350ᵒF/177ᵒC. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
Cream together softened butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in the egg and add desired flavoring. Add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use cutters to create preferred shapes.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Cool before decorating.
For Royal icing
Mix egg whites and lemon juice using a mixer until soft peaks form.
Add confectioners’ sugar gradually and add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time.
Mix until fluffy.
Divide into bowls, mix in gel food coloring
Decorate cooled cookies. Let icing set for a few hours to harden.
Yield: 20-24 pieces