Chicken Ginseng Soup
- ¾ – 1 kilo whole chicken or 1 spring chicken washed and cleaned
- 1- 2 teaspoons rock salt
- ¼ teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup glutinous rice or short grain rice Washed, soaked in water for an hour and drained
- 6-8 pieces garlic cloves
- 3-4 pieces Chinese red dates Jujube
- 6 pieces water chestnut fresh or in canned
- 4-5 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 piece white onion quartered
- 4 pieces leeks cut into 1 ½ – 2 inches slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame oil as needed (optional)
Rub chicken and its cavity with salt and pepper.
Stuff chicken with half amount of rice then insert 3-4 garlic cloves, 1 piece of ginseng root, 2 pieces red dates and lastly the remaining rice.
Place the stuffed chicken in a stewing pot filled with water or stock.
Put the onions, half amount of sliced leeks and the remaining ginseng root, garlic cloves and water chestnuts into the pot and turn on heat.
Bring mixture to a boil and continue boiling for about 5-10 minutes then lower the heat into simmering stage and continue cooking for another 1-1 ½ hours.
Season soup with salt and pepper.
Drizzle some sesame oil on top of soup before serving.
Yield: 4 servings