Chicken and Broccoli in Teriyaki Sauce
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ cup Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 250 grams chicken thigh fillet cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 piece medium-size onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 piece green bell pepper cut into strips
- 2 stalks celery cut into strips
- 1 piece carrot cut into strips
- 1 whole broccoli cut into pieces and blanched
- Toasted sesame seeds for toppings
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
In a bowl, mix, salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil. Mix well. Marinate the chicken fillet strips to the teriyaki marinade for 40 minutes to 1 hour. (For best tasting chicken teriyaki, marinate chicken overnight.
Heat oil in a medium-size wok over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic, once aromatic, add bell pepper, celery and carrots and continue sauteing to 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Then add the chicken strips together with its marinade to the wok and adjust the heat to high heat and stir-fry the teriyaki chicken.
Once the chicken is cooked, add the broccoli and lower the heat.
Mix the all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and pour it to the wok and continue stir frying the chicken and broccoli until the sauce thicken up.
Turn-off the heat and transfer Chicken and Broccoli into a serving dish and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve.
Yield: 2 to 3 Servings
Prep time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 to 15 minutes