- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ cups glutinous malagkit Rice Flour
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- prepared filling of your choice mashed monggo or ube halaya, as needed
- cooking oil as needed (for frying)
- 1 piece egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
To prepare “buchi” dough, dissolve sugar in water, set aside.
Combine together the flours then add the sugar-water solution. Mix flour and knead lightly to form a dough. Cover dough for 10-15 minutes then shape into small balls weighing approximately 25 grams each.
Lightly flatten each ball of dough in your palm and place the prepared filling at the center of dough then completely pinch and seal the dough to enclose the filling and roll again in your palm until the ball of dough become smooth and has no cracks in it. Set aside.
To prepare the sesame coating, beat together egg white and water in a small clean bowl. Dip the stuffed dough into the egg white-water mixture and roll in sesame seeds. Deep fry “buchi” in batches in hot oil for 6-8 minutes in medium to low heat until golden brown.
Yield: 15 pieces
Prep time: 30-35 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
• Cook mongo until soft and mushy. Drain excess water. Pass thru a fine sieve if desired. For every 2 cups of mashed and cooked mongo beans add 1 cup sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until sugar is completely dissolved; set aside to cool.
• If making Ube flavored “buchi”, add I teaspoon Ube extract or flavocol into the ½ cup water and instead of using monggo filling use ube halaya.
• After rolling the stuffed dough into the sesame seeds, chill or rest the “buchi” to set firm the sesame coating so as to avoid sesame seeds from floating in the oil while frying.
• Do not fry “buchi” in a very hot oil, otherwise you’ll end up having toasted, burned outer layer and uncooked inside. Sometimes you’ll end up having popped or bursts “buchi .
• Make sure to fry in batches so as not to over crowd the pot and this will give the “buchi” to freely float in the frying pot to achieve its size and color.