- 500 grams beef sirloin cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup MAYA All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pieces onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 pieces potatoes quartered
- 2 pieces carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 piece bay leaf crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups beef stock or water
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or paprika powder optional
In a bowl, season beef with salt and pepper then dredge in flour. Remove any excess flour then pan fry seasoned beef in hot oil until lightly brown.
Add in the onions and garlic until fragrant and onions become translucent.
Add celery, potatoes, carrots, bay leaf and tomato paste. Cook and stir frequently until the mixture is covered and well blended with tomato paste. Add the stock and thyme.
Bring to a boil and let it boil for 3-5 more minutes and put into a simmering stage for another 2-3 hours. Make sure you put the lid on and stir occasionally.
After 1 ½ hours, pour in the red wine. For extra color and extra kick in taste, put chili or paprika powder. Keep cooking in a simmering stage for another hour and half until the beef is tender.
Yield: 6-8 servings