The 1771 group of restaurants (Sentro 1771, Cafe 1771, Chateau 1771, Winebar 1771 and Sidebar), known for its high level of service and modern Filipino cuisine, is regularly featured at the Maya Kichen’s Culinary Elite Series. February 2014 put the spotlight on Chef Martin Algarra, who hosted a romantic cooking and dining experience for couples wanting to “spice things up” during their Valentine’s celebration.
Below are some of the dishes prepared during the class. Although the detailed preparation and cooking instructions cannot be divulged, what we have for you are some of 1771’s secret recipes including their signature sauces, stuffings, and pastry cream.
With these, feel free to make your own kitchen experiments and create culinary masterpieces worthy of 1771 and the Maya Kitchen.
Recipe Leek Crem Soup:
A puree of leeks, onions, potatoes and cream traditionally served cold.
1 tablespoon butter
3 pcs leeks, bulb only, sliced into rings
1 pc white onion, sliced
5 pcs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
1 pc bay leaf
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large stock pot melt butter over low heat. Add leeks and onion, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme, bay leaf and stir well. Cover pot and continue to cook for 12 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor and cool. Prior to serving, add cream.
- If you are serving this soup warm you need to reheat the soup slowly so that the cream does not change consistency.
HAND-MADE PARMAGGIANO REGGIAN RAVIOLI, NAPOLITAINE SAUCE, GRILLED VEGETABLES
Recipe Napolitaine Sauce:
The base tomato sauce of the 1771 Group of Restaurants
(Heads Up! There will be more sauce than what you need but since this is an all-around sauce which can be used for pasta, pizza and the like so just freeze any leftover and use it next time.)
1/4 cup olive oil
200 grams white onions, chopped
7 grams garlic, chopped
1 gal whole-peeled tomatoes in can, pureed roughly
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black paper
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1/3 teaspoon fresh oregano, leaves
1/3 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- In a sauce pot, heat the oil and cook the onions over low heat without browning them.
- Add the garlic but do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil & simmer for 1 hour.
Add all the herbs & turn off the fire. Taste & adjust seasoning.
Recipe Parmigiano Stuffing:
50 grams white onions, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon butter
a pinch of sea salt
a pinch of fresh ground black pepper
45 grams ricotta cheese
40 grams parmigiano-reggiano, grated
50 grams grana padano, grated
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon basil, chopped no black leaves
- Saute onions, garlic in butter over low heat. Be careful not to brown the mixture.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Add ricotta, Parmigiano-Reggiano and Grana Padano to cooled onion mixture.
Mix in Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg and Basil and set aside.
Make pasta dough before hand and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour before rolling.
220 grams semolina flour
2-3 pieces eggs, whole
- Mound the flour in the center of a large bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour, add the eggs.
- Using a fork, beat together the eggs and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well. As you incorporate the eggs, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape The dough will come together in a mass when about half of the flour is incorporated.
- Start kneading the dough with both hands. Add more flour, in 1/2-cup increments, if the dough is too sticky. Once the dough is a mass, remove the dough from the bowl and scrape up any left over dry bits. Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for 3 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Continue to knead for another 3 minutes, remembering to dust you’re the dough with flour when necessary. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature. Roll and form as desired.
STRAWBERRIES MILLE FEUILLE
Recipe Creme Patissiere
500 ml full cream milk
6 pcs egg yolks
100 grams white sugar
50 grams MAYA ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, sifted
- Bring milk to a boil in a stainless pot then turn off the fire.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Add the flour to egg mixture
- Pour half of the hot milk mixing continuously
- Then pour this into the pot of hot milk while mixing constantly.
- Turn the heat on low and cook until thick, stirring continuously
Immediately transfer into a cool bowl when consistency is achieved.